Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Boston

A couple of years back I had the opportunity to visit Boston, Massachusetts while my husband was there on business. We went up a few days early and made a wedding anniversary trip out of it since I'd always wanted to see a "real" autumn and hey... what can you say? We're history buffs. Once my husband took off to work, my mother flew up to join me, as she had never been to New England and really wanted to see the sights.

Boston is just teeming with historical places and as a city, was home to many of our nation's founders, figureheads and revolutionists. The Freedom Trail is a footpath through Boston, and you can take a self-guided tour of some neat places and really immerse yourself in the history. You're in walking the footsteps of Benjamin Franklin and Paul Revere and Samuel Adams and *ooh* the British soldiers. You're standing on the Boston Common where they had public hangings for witches, pirates, and heretics! Where Amelia Bloomer spoke out publicly against women having to wear skirts and dresses all the time... You're looking up at the very tower that our early revolutionists looked for the "One if by land, two if by sea!" beacon from Paul Revere on his midnight ride. You see the graves of people who came over to America on the Mayflower.

And oh, the graveyards with their gorgeous slate headstones with the ornate carvings... I could have milled around all day looking at the images and script carved into the headstones all those hundreds of years ago. I also could have spent my whole trip touring the old embellished churches. That is a whole other story!

ENJOY! Next I'll post more from the surrounding areas like Salem, Lexington/Concord, and Maine.

p.s. the pumpkin pics are from the Bostom Common, where they were trying to set a world record for most jack-o-lanterns lit at one time. They didn't set the record, but it was one heck of an attempt!

The first image in the bunch, a photo of the inside of Trinity Church, won me an award at the Texas City Art Show in 2006... I lovingly refer to it as my "award-winning" picture.









































No comments: